FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do you have questions about our safes? We have answers to many of them here! If they are not here, please contact us.
OPENING THE SAFE
How do I dial in the S&G mechanical combination?
This video will show you how to dial in. Here are the written instructions for dialing in: Substitute your combination number for the example given of “25-50-25”:
1. Make sure door handle on safe is down in a horizontal position.
2. Turn dial to the LEFT, stopping when “25” is aligned with the opening index, the FORTH time.
3. Turn dial to the RIGHT, stopping when “50” is aligned with the opening index, the THIRD time.
4. Turn dial to the LEFT, stopping when “25” is aligned with the opening index, the SECOND time.
5. Turn dial to the RIGHT until the DIAL STOPS (around the number 85 or 86 before the combination dial really stops).
6. Turn the handle to the right to open.
How do I enter in, as well as, change the combination of a Securam Electronic Keypad?
If you are opening your safe for the first time, your combination is 123456.
To change the combination, make sure the door is open with the bolts extended in the locked position.
1. Enter "0" six times. Two beeps will sound, indicating the entry is valid and the system is awaiting the code change.
2. Next, enter the existing six (6) digit code. Two beeps will sound, indicating the entry is valid.
3. Enter the new six (6) digit code. One beep will sound, indicating the entry is valid.
4. Re-enter the new six (6) digit code. One beep will sound, indicating the codes entered in steps 3 and 4 are the same and the code changing process is successful.
5. If, three beeps sound, the code change process has been unsuccessful. The existent code is still valid. Repeat steps 1 to 4.
1. Verify the new code at least three times before closing the door to make sure the code has been programmed correctly.
2. The system will revert to standby status if there is no key press within 10 seconds. Standby status is indicated by two short beeps.
Do you offer a redundant dial?
Yes, we currently offer the Securam Xtreme - Electromechanical Redundant Safe Lock System.
I dialed in correctly, I have the correct combination, but it still won't open? For S&G Mechanical Lock
Try the following if you have an S&G mechanical dial lock:
1. The dial might not be turned hard enough to the right for the #5 step listed in the “How do I dial In?” answer above. It MUST be at 96 be at a complete stop.
2. If the dial came to a complete stop, you must pull the handle counterclockwise to open it.
3. Troubleshoot by changing your combination +/- one number. Example if your combination was 25-50-25, try 26-51-26, and 24-49-24.
Try the following if you have an electronic SecuRam Keypad:
1. If you have tried and failed to input in 3 times in a row, you have entered penalty mode and you are locked out for 15 minutes. You can attempt to enter in again once that time has passed.
GENERAL SAFE INFORMATION
What is the fire rating?
All Sun Welding safes are built with 5/8" gypsm board. We have had our safes independently tested. The test was done by placing the safe inside an oven that was 1200 degrees. At "30" minutes the internal temperature of the safe reached 350 degrees. This is not the total burn time of the safe. Every fire is different and the overall length of protection will vary due to circumstances such as where the fire started, what is fueling the fire, how fast does the fire department respond, etc.
Do you offer a non fire lined safe?
Yes, if no fire liner is selected there will be no interior shelving inside the safe.
Do you sell the fire liner separately, as a kit?
No, unfortunately this is a factory install item only. We can retrofit your non fire lined safe to be fire lined. Give us a call for a quote.
Which safe should I get? What are the benefits of adding more steel?
With the right tools and the right amount of time, even for bank vault, you would eventually be able to breach the safe. A safe is designed to slow down the attack and allow enough security to avoid a breach. Generally, the thicker the steel you have, the more security and time you have. How much time do you need to buy yourself? There are a lot of deciding factors for example if you have high power tools capable of breaching steel, an alarm system, response time is to local departments, and what kind of tools are available in the home.
What kind of paint do you use?
It’s a polyurethane, semi gloss or gloss paint that is sprayed on.
What does your warranty cover? Why is it better?
Visit our warranty page.
Why should I go with Sun Welding Safe?
1. We have been building American made quality safes since 1980, never outsourcing.
2. We offer solid steel doors when comparing our gauge thickness to other safes with comparable gauge thicknesses and size, our delivered price will be less money. If not, call us!
3. We offer many finish options, including custom options. You design the safe from start to finish.
5. We offer unique options such as custom color, size, thickness, and more.
Where can I see the safe in person? Do you have any dealers?
Come check out our showroom! We will educate you on the various steel thicknesses and security features on our safes.
We have dealers across the US, many sell under private labels for their own brands. We have several online dealers that sell direct to consumer.
Have one of your safes been successfully broken into? How?
Yes, our safes have been broken into. Once by a D-10 tractor applying so much pressure to the door that the door bent! Another time when the intruder stole the whole safe and had all the time to open the safe. The key to keeping an intruder out of your safe is to bolt the safe down. They will not be able to remove the safe from your home.
Is your safe water proof or water resistant?
No. Be cautious of companies making these claims!
UNLOADING AND MOVING
How do I remove the safe door? How much weight do I save?
The doors are about 30% of the whole weight of the safe. Before attempting to remove the door we suggest you place a piece of cardboard at the top of the body to prevent the door from hitting the safe. Then open the safe door just over 90 degrees, using something similar to a car jack to help jack it upward. The jack should be placed on the bottom of the door. For smaller safes, make sure there are at least two people (one on each side of the door). Larger safes will need a few more people. Do this at your own risk.
Do the same thing in reverse to put it back on. Do this at your own risk.
How do I move a safe up or down a large stair case?
How do I load the safe on and off a pickup truck?
Here is a video of a man who did a good job explaining it. To unload the safe which is on the truck, reverse the steps.
How do I move a 400-700 pound safe?
Have two men and a strong hand truck capable of carrying the weight. Moving across tile or wood floor your may want to place some padding such as plywood.
How do I move a 701-2000 pound safe?
Have three to five men help. Moving across tile or wood floor your may want to place some padding such as plywood.
How do I not crack the tile while moving the safe over it?
Place plywood down to roll over instead of the tile. Two large sheets needed. Once you roll over the first board onto the second, take the first board and place it in front of the second board. There is still no guarantees this will save your tile, but it will help.
How do I move a large or small safe off a pallet?
Watch this video.
Can you recommend any movers and installers?
How do I move a safe up or down a short stair case?
Make a ramp to lay down across the steps and with a heavy duty dolly, pull the safe up the ramp. You might need to tilt the safe back on two corners and place the ramp underneath it.
How do I maintenance the safe / vault? What oil do I use?
When oiling the deadbolts and hinges it is important to use a white grease. Do not ever apply oils to the dial or locking system of the safe.
This is virtually a maintenance free item, but after years of owning it, if you notice the safe handle get tighter and tighter to move, or squeaking, add oil to the deadbolts by throwing the handle bar in a position to fully expose the deadbolts, then apply the oil to the bolts. Move handle bar back and forth after you have done this.
When it come to the locks, both SecuRam and S&G recommend a locksmith to maintenance them once a year.
How many anchor holes?
You only need two bolt down locations because we are using 3/8″ diameter anchors which have a better grip into the ground.
How should I bolt down a safe to a concrete/cement floor?
The bolt down hole size in the safe is about 9/16" in diameter. We recommend using a 3/8" x 2" concrete anchor. You don’t want to go so far into the cement you hit rebar, ground or pipelines. Two bolts needed to bolt into concrete. Use a roto hammer. No need to premark the holes before bolting, just set the safe in place, and bolt down.
Once you picked the bolt type, click below for further instructions on installing it:
How long until I receive my safe or vault?
Your product will be finished within current lead time listed on the order. Call us to check current lead times. Shipping is generally 7 business days transit time for eastern states, 4-5 days for Mid states, and 1-3 days for western states. Disclaimer: All built and transit days given are just good estimates, and not guaranteed. Using a 3rd party freight carrier the shipment is subject to their shipping. The carrier will call you to schedule a delivery day and time. Any changes in delivery address or special requests can delay the eta and potentially be subject to additional charges. In addition, if the freight companies need to store the safe even longer than 3 days, you will be charged, per day, with storage fees (some exclusions apply).
What happens if I change the delivery address after the safe is shipped?
You will be responsible for a reconsignment fee as well as any other fees associated with the changes being requested. It’s your responsibility to check the shipping address is correct on the sales order.
What am I to expect for the delivery?
We have a video of what to expect for delivery below. With standard free curbside delivery the freight company will NOT go inside the house, however, they will go inside the garage or anywhere outside the home, considering the truck driver is physically capable of doing it with a pallet jack. They will not move the safe off the pallet, or unwrap it. Unless you requested a small truck, they will be full sized 48 footers, so make sure there is enough room for the driver to access you. If no trucks are able to reach your home, you may need to pick the safe up at the nearest terminal, and get a freight allowance, or we will work out some other solution. If you feel you could have issues with any freight trucks to your location (such as having a long unpaved, gravel driveway, low hanging trees, steep inclines or declines, etc.), please let us know in advance, or the freight company will only have the option of dropping it off curbside.
What happens if there is freight damage?
Take pictures and note all damage on the delivery receipt BEFORE the driver leaves. Provided in an email with the shipping instructions are instructions on how to proceed if there is damage. Any damage (more than what touch up paint can fix, or a handle that can be replaced), you need to write “Freight damaged. Refused delivery." on the BOL and try to call us before the driver leaves with the safe. They will send the safe back to us free of charge so we can repair or replace the safe. When one signs anything from a shipping company, it’s important to remember your signing a paper that states you received the idem in good condition, and it’s really hard to prove other wise if that was not the case.
How will the safe/vault be packaged in for shipping?
The safe will be foam wrapped, wrapped in a double ply cardboard box, then double steel banded, standing upwright on a wood pallet. Packaging is non descriptive, and says TOP HEAVY.
The vault doors are shipped in a wooden crate.
Do you ship to Canada, Hawaii, or Alaska?
Yes, please call for a price.
We also ship to Canada and you will need to have a broker. You will be responsible to pay their fees, plus Canadian duties separately, but we handle the shipment setup.
What are the upgrades I will not be refunded for?
Special upgrades such as; a custom size, custom paint, steel upgrade, finishes other than the standard finish, custom lock orders are non refundable. We will refund you the full amount, minus the cost of any extra option. See our terms and conditions on the order confirmation or call us for any questions.
What if I want to cancel or downgrade an order?
If we have not completed that part of production we will change the option on your order. Once that part of production has been completed we can not remove it from the custom order.
What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept Paypal, Visa, Discover, MasterCard, American Express, and E-Check.
How does payment/down payment work?
We require a 30% deposit to start an order. The balance of the order will be due at time of completion.
Do you have any discounts?
There is a 2% discount for cash or E-check. We also offer bulk buy discounts, as well as, repeat customer discounts, first responder, and military. Thank you for your service!
Do you offer financing?
We now offer PayPal financing which allows customers to apply for credit through PayPal payment processing.
|Sargent & Greenleaf (S&G)||800-826-7652||Website|
Dialing a Mechanical Lock
To dial a Mechanical Lock Combination:
1. Turn the dial to the LEFT (counter clock-wise), stopping when _(1st number)_ is aligned with the opening index the FOURTH time.
2. Turn the dial to the RIGHT (clockwise), stopping when _(2nd number)_ is aligned with the opening index the THIRD time.
3. Turn the dial to the LEFT (counter clock-wise), stopping when _(3rd number)_ is aligned with the opening index the SECOND time.
4.Turn the dial to the RIGHT (clockwise), until the dial stops, and the bolt retracts.
Using the Day Key: Most safes come with a key locking dial. Close the door and turn the safe handle. To lock the dial, insert the dial key and turn the key a half a turn clockwise. Turn the dial to the right (clockwise). The dial should stop around 87.
Note: The day key feature is not suggested to use as the main source of security.
- Rotate the dial counterclockwise to the number 0.
- Insert the key and turn it 180 degrees counterclockwise until it stops.
- Remove the key and verify the dial is locked by turning the handle.
S&G Mechanical Lock Support
For Combination Lock Instructions
Here is a booklet for lock troubleshooting that may be able to assist you.
Using an Electronic Lock
S&G Electronic Lock Support
For Electronic Lock Instructions
Sargent & Greenleaf 6120 Electronic Lock:
1. Press 1-2-3-4-5-6-#, wait for tone.
2. Turn handle
LP Combination Lock SupportCheck out www.lplocks.com
LP Electronic Lock Support
Check out www.lplocks.com
For Electronic Lock Instructions "Base Line Key Pad - Dual User Set-Up Instructions"
LaGard/Kaba Electronic Lock Support
Using an EMP Redundant Lock
LaGard Combination lock (Redundant Lock):
1. Turn the dial to the RIGHT (clockwise), stopping when _(1st number)_ is aligned with the opening index the FIFTH time.
1. Turn the dial to the LEFT (counter clock-wise), stopping when _(2nd number)_ is aligned with the opening index the FOURTH time.
2. Turn the dial to the RIGHT (clockwise), stopping when _(3rd number)_ is aligned with the opening index the THIRD time.
3. Turn the dial to the LEFT (counter clock-wise), stopping when _(4th number)_ is aligned with the opening index the SECOND time.
4.Turn the dial to the RIGHT (clockwise), until the dial stops, and the bolt retracts.
Securam Combination Lock (EMP Redundant Lock / Safe Logic Xtreme)
To change the battery to your SecuRam SafeLogic Xtreme Keypad please refer to page 9 in the instruction manual that came with the safe.
----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- -----------
Looking for a locksmith?